Monday, April 23, 2012

Comparison

My picture for the week is something I have been wanting to do for a while. I wanted to see how closely I can replicate an image I took with a 35mm camera and developed myself but this time using a digital camera and photoshop.
I've always loved black and white photos and I just feel like there is just something special about them when done with film.

I picked an image I had taken during my b&w 35mm film class of a birdhouse in my backyard. I figured it would be the easiest to try since it was a fairly simple composition.
Needless to say I still agree that there is something special about film photography. The one I took today isn't bad, but I just like the original film one more.

Original:
birdhouse 001

New:
DSC_0029

I'm pleased with how the new image converted to black and white, but that is about all that I'm pleased with. Some of the differences in the images are beyond my control though. For one the trees in the background had more leaves in the original image, the new one has too much white space without all the foliage. Also, although I don't remember exactly, but I do believe the Nikon 35mm camera I used had a lens with a smaller f-stop which created the much more blurred background. It was also probably a larger lens; 55-200mm most likely.
I will say I did a better job of focusing the birdhouse this time, it's much more detailed. But with a larger f-stop more of the background is in focus and I don't like that.

Film. You win this round.
Granted I'm pretty biased towards b&w film...

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. film definitely won for me. technical stuff aside, it just looks better. i mean, sure the focus was better on the second shot, but there was too much background distracting me from the subject. although there is less focus on the film's shot, it is just waaaay better looking. kudos! long live the film. :)

    ReplyDelete